Current:Home > FinanceNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -OceanicInvest
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:52:49
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Powerful earthquakes off Japan's west coast prompt tsunami warnings
- Klee Benally, Navajo advocate for Indigenous people and environmental causes, dies in Phoenix
- Finland and Sweden set this winter’s cold records as temperature plummets below minus 40
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- NJ mayor says buses of migrants bound for NY are being dropped off at NJ train stations
- Michigan vs. Alabama Rose Bowl highlights, score: Wolverines down Alabama in OT thriller
- Powerful earthquakes off Japan's west coast prompt tsunami warnings
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- NFL is aware of a video showing Panthers owner David Tepper throwing a drink at Jaguars fans
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Bangladesh court sentences Nobel laureate Yunus to 6 months in jail. He denies violating labor laws
- Elvis is in the building, along with fishmongers as part of a nautical scene for the Winter Classic
- What restaurants are open New Year's Day 2024? Details on McDonald's, Starbucks, Chick-fil-A
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Remembering those lost on OceanGate's Titan submersible
- German officials detain a fifth suspect in connection with a threat to attack Cologne Cathedral
- A boozy banana drink in Uganda is under threat as authorities move to restrict home brewers
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Basdeo Panday, Trinidad and Tobago’s first prime minister of Indian descent, dies
Ana Ofelia Murguía, Mexican actress who voiced Mama Coco in Pixar's 'Coco,' dies at 90
Taylor Swift 101: From poetry to business, college classes offer insights on 'Swiftology'
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Fighting in southern Gaza city after Israel says it is pulling thousands of troops from other areas
16-year-old traveling alone on Frontier mistakenly boarded wrong flight to Puerto Rico
Horoscopes Today, December 30, 2023